Bubbl.us Review: The Very First Online Brainstorming ToolNancy
The mind mapping software for Windows we will discuss here, Bubbl.us, relies on colorful bubbles and simplicity to make your own mind mapping diagram. As always, being simple seems to be one of the most effective ways for creativity. Furthermore, it turns your ideas into a brainstorming board. Like some other online mind map software, you can also use Bubbl.us to do projects via browsers.
- Windows, Mac Android and iOS Devices including iPhone, iPad, and MacBook, etc.
- Web-based including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari
- Free version available for up to 3 mind maps
- $6 for monthly cost per user
- $59 for an annual fee per user
- 30-day Free trial available for both monthly and annual pricing plans
Looking Inside Bubbl.us Features
User Interface Overview
Overall, the user interface is fairly easy to understand and similar to the design of Google Docs. You have a large drawing space for content creation. The Resize feature allows users to adjust the size of bubbles and move them on the screen. The manipulation of the layout is also easy.
Bubbl.us has many preset colorful choices for the bubbles. You can personalize the bubbles in your mind map diagram in a series of colors by hitting the Custom button on the top right of the user interface. In this part, you can further select the Hue or Saturation tools. Alternatively, you can click the Palette button to select one of the preset colors.
Save, Export and Share
The mind mapping software automatically saves your diagram every two minutes, but you can set it to save manually. Furthermore, Bubbl.us allows users to back up their work as many times as they preferred. You need to register an account to store your mind maps online. The exporting option including jpg, png, and HTML. For the premium version, once added a person to the contact list of your Bubbl.us application, you can share a mind map via emails.
Online Brainstorming for Classes
This could be the most spotlight feature of Bubbl.us. It is the first mind mapping tool that can collaborate with others over the Web. Teachers in primary or middle schools can explore many methods to incorporate Bubbl.us into their class discussions, assignments design, and class preparation. For group work, teachers can mark coursework via the web version of Bubbl.us, and students can check paperless peer reviews.
Advantages VS Disadvantages of Bubbl.us
- Generally easy to get started. Low learning curve.
- Covers the majority of smart devices.
- Great online brainstorming feature especially for educational purposes.
- The Bubbl.us app lacks features for customization.
- Sometimes the Android and iOS devices may have lag problems.
- It is not easy to differ the layout theme.
- The visual design is a bit twitchy when adjusting the overall size of the bubble map.
- Sometimes elements may overlay each other so not convenient to click on them.
- Not easy to move bubbles in groups. Have to click all the bubbles one by one.
- No real-time collaboration tool available. No options to invite group members.
Bubbl.us is clean from your very first hit of the button. It keeps mind mapping process simple for starters and small groups. The software also reflects a good promise for the web-based brainstorming feature. However, the Bubbl.us app has limited functionality and overall lower price-performance ratio when comparing with other mind mapping applications. It seems that the brand is not easy to attract the attention from hard-core mind mappers. As a result, more creative features, and functions need to be input for it to become one of the most dedicated brainstorming and collaboration mind mapping software.