MindMeister Review: A Collaborative Solution in Collapsible IdeasNancy
MindMeister is a collaborative mind mapping software for Windows that’s both versatile and unleashes your creative potential. It is a good option for mind mapping on the go. Like many other online mind map software and Mac mind mapping applications, MindMeister can also run in a number of web-browsers and on iOS and Android devices for you to access anywhere for business projects and daily assignments.
- iOS 10.0 version or higher for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Android 4.4 version or higher
- Windows, Mac and Linux Ubuntu
- Web-based covering Google Chrome, Sarafi, and IE Explorer
- Free trial available for up to 3 mind maps
- $83 for Personal License per year
- $140 for Pro License per year
- $216 for Business License per year
- Educational discounts available
MindMeister Features Quick View
The Drawing Canvas and Interface
Right on the expansive user screen, you can get a whole view of the current diagram. If you see the top left corner, you will find options to zoom in or out the diagram. The right-hand side panel has a list of editable options including change node colors, fonts or inserts elements, etc. Furthermore, the MindMeister iPad version has a built-in dialog window for a summary of all your maps.
How about the Editing Tools
Clicking the white button on the top left the place of the user interface to add sub-topics, and move around the topic to fit its best parent topic. You can edit the topic text in bold or italicized forms. For the pro version, you can go for more preset symbols and images, or input your search team directly from the top right corner of the user interface. The MindMeister iPad version has a toolbar for Style, Icons, Theme, Topic notes, Links and Tasks for project management.
Synchronization and Transfer
All of your drafts will be automatically synchronized to your web-based repository. You can open any local desktop mind maps in your personal MindMeister account online by hitting the Online button on the app interface. Moreover, just one tap away so you can download the collection of online mind maps from iPad to mobile. Overall, the synchronization can go between iOS, Android, Windows or Mac devices.
Users can add teammates to group projects by emails in MindMeister. When your teammate is making any changes, for example, moving a node, on the mind map, the diagram on your drawing interface will be updated in real-time. All edits from your teammates will be shown in different colors.
MindMeister: Advantages & Disadvantages
- The History View tool helps you check past editing versions of your work.
- Clean visual design dashboard.
- Files can be synced smoothly between deskop and mobile.
- Real-time editing for group projects.
- Integrates user account to the developer’s iPhone app of MindMeister, so you can work on files in the software.
- Only 3 mind maps can be created for the free version; Much less free features than some other competitiors, such as Edraw MindMaster.
- Lacks preset mind mapping templates.
- Poor integration with other software, such as Evernote.
- A bit expensive price package for single user compared to the competition.
- Not convenient for offline usages especially on iOS or Anroid device. May lost your draft in emergency if you forgot to hit the Switch Offline button.
- No note-taking tool for HTML browers.
MindMeister assist users alleviate complex ideas into collapsible ones. The real-time editing feature for team collaboration is indeed impressive compared to some other mind mapping tools. The additional task management tools and features for business projects help you monitoring takss efficently in order to incrase rate of return. On the other hand, I hold negative view on the higher cost and less competitive offline uses of MindMeister compared to other alternatives.