A Mind Map Gets Your House OrganizedCindy
Cindy leads a busy life, working from 9:00 to 18:00 every weekday, plus three hours on the way to work and home. She poorly has spare time to clean her house except for weekends – a short weekly vacation that she hopes to spend dating with friends and traveling with family. Even though, she has to pick a fixed weekend period to tidy up her house. Every week, she starts off with a nice house and a nice mood. As time goes by, when it comes to midweek, everything begins to fall into a mess. Can’t find her key before leaving her house, socks not in a match, unfolded laundry lying on the sofa, unfinished snacks scattering on the countertop… Finally, her weekend comes! She is dying to hang out with her beloved girls. However, everything in her house is totally in a disaster. She pushes herself over the edge, scratching her hair, and then starts a new cycle of cleaning.
Why Choose to Guide Your Cleaning with a Mind Map?
I guess many of you live such a life as Cindy does, right? Some of you may get married, have children and endless housework. Life has always been busy and hard, so please do not get yourself troubled by those fussy chores. The best advantage of organizing your house with a mind map is that you see through all steps at a glance and can take actions immediately. Take a look at the following mind map, it shows you some tips on how to keep your house tidy daily with just small changes in different areas – kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, and entryway.
Let’s get started from the place you cook.
Kitchen is where you cook for yourself or for the whole family. Getting food done nicely always brings you great joy. However, there are always moments when you come into the kitchen, ready to make a fancy meal, and faces a pile of unwashed dishes. Such a mess often rid you of the kitchen. Finally, you give up the nice idea of cooking.
In the morning:
- Do the dishes while you brew your coffee. Don’t leave the dishes in the sink till the next meal. Otherwise, it will surely reduce your eagerness for cooking and eating.
- When you notice a spill, clean it at once. It’s not always easy to notice a spill in your kitchen. Coffee or oil spills would accumulate till they form a greasy bump which will often dirty your clothes accidentally. So next time you see a spill, clean it in time with your wipe for your own convenience.
- Change your dish towel. Some people may ignore that dish towel needs replacing like bath towels. Getting your dish towels changed after using them for a regular period of time helps to build a more sanitary kitchen.
- Do the cleaning when you cook. Attention, please! Don’t forget to clean the kitchen at night, and the best time is when you cook. Don’t just stand there waiting for your food done. Take these intervals to clean your kitchen. Doing so, you will find that when the meal is ready, those trivial kitchen chores are finished.
- Fill and start the dishwasher at night. As mentioned above, you’ve cleaned the kitchen when you cook. After finishing your meal, what is left are only your dishes. Take one more minute to put them in the dishwasher and start it at night, then you’ll have a totally neat kitchen when you wake up for breakfast the next morning.
The most family would gather in the living room watching TV or doing some other stuff together after dinner. A clean living room is really important to get a family closer.
In the morning:
- Keep baskets in every room. There are always moments you need to put down some small widgets or dirty stuff that needs washing. More occasionally, I guess you would throw them into a large chair or the couch, letting them pile into a hill. A basket will help every family member store those stuff and leave the house with their room neat.
- Wipe your coffee table and side tables during commercial breaks. Lying on the sofa with a soft pillow and even tasty snacks, you are enjoying your favorite TV show in the living room. This is a picture describing your entertainment time after dinner. So do I. No matter how addicted you are into the show, do remember to clean furniture around with your wipe during commercial breaks. This will save you much energy when your house needs a thorough cleanup. Don’t tell me you are addicted to those advertisements!
- Puff up your pillows after each use. Leaning on the pillow for a period may make it collapse. Please take several seconds to puff it up for better use next time.
A bedroom is a place where people spend most time except office. Sleeping usually takes one-third of your day. A comfortable bedroom matters not only your health but also emotional well-being.
In the morning:
- Make your bed as soon as you get up. Folding your quilt is the best way that prevents you from lingering in your bed and snoozing. Besides, making the bed will help you form the habit of tidying up your room and getting up early.
- Wipe your night table each morning. This stops the tiny dirt on your side table floating to your bed, offering you fresh clean air.
- Arrange your closet as you leave. When you are ready for work after morning chores, the last thing is to go get your coat and bag from the closet. Here I recommend you to insert one more step – arrange your closet, leaving a separate section for clothes that can be worn till the laundry date.
- Immediately rehang the items you wore. The first thing arriving home you need is to put your keys, subway pass, and accessories such as watch and glasses back to their place. You may fall into the embarrassing moment looking for your keys or forgetting your glasses in a hurry. Sticking to putting items back to their place helps you lay them out in a fixed location.
- Put a dedicated hamper for every room in your house. A dedicated hamper is really necessary for a family. Throwing ready-to-wash clothes into the hamper contributes a lot to sorting and washing them. I would recommend a hamper with two bags which can separate whites and coloreds.
- Do the laundry as soon as you get home. This would leave you enough time to iron and fold clothes of the whole family. Do not wait until they pile up high. That kind of washing is surely tiring!
Bathroom matters a lot to people’s living quality and satisfaction. You use the bathroom more frequently than the kitchen. So care it more.
In the morning:
- Spray your shower with cleaner after each shower. Have you ever cleaned your shower? Many seem to have overlooked this detail – germs and bacteria grow and spread easily in such wet and inconspicuous environment. Cleaning the shower regularly after your bath in the morning improves both showering quality and physical health.
- Hang towels on bars and robes on hooks. Hanging towels and robes to their place help to dry them quickly, offering you better use next time.
- Clean your toilet during your skim-protection time. Brush your teeth, wash your face, apply a mask on the face and anoint some lotion and cream on your skin. That’s the most common nighttime routine for everyone. While you are waiting to peel off your mask, you may make full use of the fifteen minutes to wipe the seat of the toilet and give it a light clean, which will make the future deep clean easier.
- Clear your clutter and wipe countertop before bedtime. Girls might have numerous cosmetics and makeups scattering everywhere. After getting ready for bedtime, wipe the countertop, take two minutes to clear them and put them to the right place. This will make it more convenient for you to make up the next morning.
The entryway is the last place you step on when leaving your house, and the first place entering your home. There might not be much space in your entryway, but it functions effectively if you make the best of it.
In the morning:
- Take out the trash. Some of you may forget to take out the trash when you are in a hurry to work. Get the garbage gathered and move them to the entryway a night before. You will not see them pile up in your house. Sometimes they really smell!
- Keep your daily used items in a fixed position, especially your keys, bags, and coats. This will save you much time looking for them.
These steps mentioned above are not difficult at all. Follow instructions on the mind map to organize your house. Come and do it. Free yourself on weekends!