Popplet Review: Simplest Tool to Capture and Organize IdeasCindy
Popplet is a handy tool to capture and organize ideas for both school and work. In the classroom and at home, students use Popplet as a mind map to create graphic organizers for thinking and learning visually. Students can capture facts, thoughts, and images and learn to create relationships between them. In the office or on the go, professionals use Popplet as a brainstorming tool to generate ideas, organize their thoughts and plan projects.
Different from other professional mind map software that has at least a desktop application, Popplet is available for only online browsers and mobile iOS devices, which makes people who work on the go of its target users. It has to be mentioned that children ages under 12 are not able to gain an account and their learning with Popplet had to be monitored by adults or guardians.
- Online (Popplet Lite)
- iOS: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad
Comparing with other popular mind mapping tools such as MindManager and Edraw MindMaster, Popplet charges actually very low. For students and teachers who live on a tight budget and require fewer functionalities, Popplet could be a nice choice.
- Popplet Lite: Free
- Popplet Monthly Plan: $3.00
- Popplet Yearly Plan: $30.00
As mentioned above, Popplet works on browsers and mobile iOS devices, suiting different screen sizes. In this case, students may find difficulty displaying maps made on the computer by iPhone because of the mess and crap that may squeeze together into a small screen.
The following are screenshots of Popplet on iPhone. As you can see in the first picture from the left, you can have unlimited local brands. The one on the right is a finished mind map on the information of the earth. When there is much information, the map on the iPhone screen looks messy.
Comparing with the small-sized screen of the iPhone, using it on the Internet browser is much easier. You can operate with both keyboard and mouse click on a much larger canvas.
- Unlimited local boards
- Capture notes in text
- Capture notes with images
- Capture notes with a drawing tool
- Change the color of your notes and Popplet board
- Link notes to each other visually
- Export as PDF as JPG
- Boundless Boards
- Pinch to zoom and expand
- Multi Language Support
- See the Popplet boards of other users through the ‘Public’ tab to get inspired in layout and color matching
Pros & Cons
- Small disk space of only 4.9 Mb.
- Capture and record ideas wherever on the go.
- Allow realtime collaboration and interactions between teachers and students.
- Not able to sync over all devices after you login the same account.
- Low quality exported PDF and JPEG files.
- Comparing with computers, mind maps made on small-sized iPhones are difficult to display a whole picture.
Comments on this siftware agree that by inserting words, images and drawings into ideas, Popplet works well in helping students who have problems in organization and visual memory. By capturing facts, thoughts, and images, students learn to create relationships between them and generate new ideas. Realtime collaboration and sharing design benifit planning and discussion in educattion. Worth trying!